Sunday, June 12, 2016

ONE LIFE TO LOVE!

Since the name of my blog is Soul Reflections, it's time to reflect upon the serious happening in Orlando.

I will never understand senseless killings and murderers in the name of any deity. It all seems so unreal that a person would be so cold-hearted to take the lives of people he doesn't know, never met, has no idea of their likes and dislikes, or anything else.

I grew up in a small Pennsylvania town, where you just lived life. Go to school, church on Sundays, evening meals, play in the park, read at the library and just go through your day being normal, I guess.

In this day of technological explosion, we are receiving so much real-time information that it causes an overload of our senses. Too much TV.  Too much video games. Too much crime. Too much internet. It doesn't leave us any time for self improvement or reaching out to our neighbors.

I remember 9/11 and the neighbor that I didn't know very well, came to my front door to bring us a dozen cookies.  She said, 'If 9/11 teaches us anything, it should be about knowing people in our community.' We are all one people.

Yes, I'm a Christian. God tells us to love each other because He first loved us. Love covers a multitude of sins, the Bible says.

Why isn't love at the center of man instead of hatred and evil? It's a dilemma as old as time. We always want what others have or we can't be who they are so we try to destroy them.

Maybe we just get these 'wake-up' calls or events to remind us how tenuous life is and that we need to take stock of who we are and what we are doing to each other.

I can't say that I know what made the assassin do what he did but I wonder who was investing in his life.  Who was loving him?  Who was teaching him right from wrong? Because we all really do know what is right or wrong. To kill is wrong. Simple.  To love is right.  Simple.

What is the answer? I don't know. I do know that as far as I can do, as long as I can be, as long as there is breath in my body, I must work to make this air that I breathe, breathe out goodness, kindness, gentleness, self-control, love, mercy, grace and more, much more.

This is the only life we have. This is the only world we have.  These are the only people we have. We have one chance or opportunity to work this out and we had better start now.

We only have today and are not promised tomorrow or even the next minute. It's time....

#Orlando  #OneLifeToLove

No comments: