Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Day of the Father


This must have been one of the hardest days that I've had since my dad passed on.

Three years have gone by and the cut still breaks open when I think I'm in the most control.

As I think back about the memories of my dad, love speaks the loudest.

He reminds me a lot of Jesus. He was of no account, no beauty or bearing, but the world to me. His love was lavish, even when I wasn't the best daughter.

The tears came hard today at church. I miss him a lot. I would love to have his soothing words calm the turmoil of my mother's distress. He would know what to do and say.

I guess it's all the more reason to believe that God is my heavenly Father. That His love is the love that encompasses so much more than my earthy dad ever could.

Some day will come that I shall see him again and I can't wait.

My dad may not have taught me baseball, gardening, or anything but fishing.

He taught me love.

4 comments:

gail said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Dad. "He taught you love."

I too know what it feels like to suddenly have that old wound ripped open.

May God hold you close,Debra.

gail said...

Thanks for visitng my blog Debra. Anyone who has Matt Redman's song as a ring tone is a friend of mine.!!! I am his # 1 fan

You're excused for mixing me up with the New Zealnders!!!They get a bit miffed at being thought Aussie though as we are so much bigger and a lot of people just associate them with Australia and thay have their own distinct identity and culture.

Brigitte said...

Oh Debs, this was so beautiful. And it is so comfortng that we can find solace in our Heavenly Father in times like these. And it didn't even cross my mind until now that my darling mom must have been missing her dad something awful yesterday too... I am going to call her right now....

Soul Reflections said...

Gail - thanks for your love and for accepting my apology.

Spookie - I hope your mom is ok.

God is so good. He even has plans for your sadness.

Thanks both for writing.

BTW - I love your blogs!!!