Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Just a Dream Away


“There’s no place like home.”
“There’s no place like home.”
“There’s no place like home,” the crickets chorus in my ears.

There’s the door...just a few more steps. Reach for the knob, turn slowly. I know how to do it but…I can’t…quite…reach.

The eerie darkness falls heavily, blanketing the night sounds. My thoughts and fears turn inwards, sapping strength needed to push onward.

I stretch, yearning for the feel of the cold metal. Gasping and grasping, I struggle to move my feet through the sloppy thickened mud. With each step the mud layers itself to the bottom of my soles, unsteadying my footing. Sweat pours down my face, salting my eyes and blurring my vision.

I’m almost there, almost inside, safety and security millimeters away.

Home sweet home.

My hands swipe at the blackened air, as if to tear the veil to see the light. I touch the knob just as something knocks hard against my arm. Arrows of pain shoot up to my shoulder. Terrified I turn and close my eyes, waiting for the next blow.

His nails pierce my scalp. With a yelp, I open my eyes to see a large ball of fur waiting to attack again. “OK” I moan. “I’ll get up”. For a moment I cuddle my pillow, rejoicing in the daylight.

It’s time to rise and face the day.

The cat’s hungry.

1 comment:

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Oh, ha...that's cute...too much time on your hands...sleeping in eh! As least the cat knows when its time to get up! LOL