Monday, July 10, 2006

Interrupted Lives

For the last two days I've helped the flood victims.

My pastor preached on the Good Samaritan yesterday. His sermon was titled "Who Cares". He motivated 61 people to show up at a rescue center to help devastated families after church. We interrupted our schedules to help those who we couldn't recognize. There were no smiling faces or laughter...just despair and grief.

We made a difference. We hauled, moved, loaded, cleaned, sorted and comforted. Our efforts seemed like ants moving a monumental mountain.

Today, the volunteers were less. There are less supplies. Gloves and bug spray are running low. Masks are in short supply.

But God provides. There's that word...but. But, God. He has made all the difference. He is present in every hug, handshake, surprised hope...everything.

As my hauling partner and I were going back to the headquarters, we came across an automobile accident. On the ground sat a young woman, just crying and shaking. I ran to her and just hugged her.

She'd lost everything, borrowed a car and headed to the church for more clorox to clean with. Along came an elderly driver and t-boned their borrowed car.

Her shaking voice just kept saying "I want my life back". It's a nightmare that the people want to wake from. I just wanted to hold her and make it all go away for her.

I don't know her name but she was ok. She calmed a bit and talked to me. Finally, I asked if I could pray with her and she just shuddered and grabbed onto me and nodded. I hope my words were led by the Spirit and were encouraging to her. It sounded like jibberish to me. Thankfully we have the Holy Spirit who shows the Father what our heart is really saying. He's the Great Interceder.

"Can I pray with you?" are words that make the stoniest heart bleed. A fresh round of tears were torn from her soul. It was her darkest hour but also the most hopeful. Pray for her salvation.

Hug someone today. It doesn't matter what color their skin is or if they're American or Iranian. It all comes down to this one fact: we're all people with needs.

There is no defense against love.

7 comments:

Brigitte said...

Thats such an amazing testimony Debs. God bless you. You were there when she needed to know that there are people in the world who haven't forgotten how to be loving. Continue allowing Him to lead you and you will be blessed.
Love you!!!

gail said...

How great that you could be Jesus to those in need. Will pray for the girl in the accident.

Soul Reflections said...

Thanks for the prayers for them. We need to be aware of the opportunities that God gives us.

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Good job, Debs. I saw the ambulance go by, but couldn't get away to see what happened. glad you were there!

A Captured Reflection said...

This really touched me - and convicted me at the same time. Wow! I find words hard to find.

Soul Reflections said...

Karen - Words are hard but God knows the heart. The Spirit lives to ever intercede for us. That's why hugs are so important. They say what's impossible for us to express.

Brigitte said...

Most times it is our actions that speak far louder than our words. A hug, a squeeze on the hand, a kiss on the cheek, an arm around the shoulder - these things speak to someone in pian and with heartache more than words can. Usually in a sad or difficult moment - any words spoken can sound very cliche - except the words: "Can I pray with you." Isn't that amazing....