Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Virtual Travel


Whew! What a trip! Easter Island, ever hear of it? Over 2200 miles from anywhere, it's the world's most remote island in the south Pacific ocean. I've been doing research for All About God about the island and its history. What a fascinating place. I doubt that they'll have a Survivor series there, though. The only potable water is in the one town and there's not much to eat unless you have your own garden. What I found fascinating were the giant stone statues. HUGE! The first island residents came from Polynesia. They used all the natural resources, stripping the island bare of the wonderful forest of trees to transport the statues to the outer rim of the island. Eerily they stare blankly out to sea, as if to warn intruders or to alert ships as to their inhabitation! No one knows! Here's a culture who put their faith into something they carved out of volcanic rock and in the process destroyed its ecosystem. How amazing is it that people make idols out of something that can't do anything except exist! Some people have even build an idol out of the same wood they cast into the fire to warm themselves. I would much rather place my faith in the one true God, who lives and breathes, whose promises are 'yea and amen', will never leave me nor forsake me, who speaks to my spirit and is my salvation! You may not be able to make a cast idol of His image, because no one has seen Him and lived, but you may be sure that His presence will change your life forever. He's promised me. AMEN!

2 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Amen! What a great post this was. A great reminder that we are not to make graven images and bow down to them. We are not to have false idols either...and that can take the form of anything, not just statues. Anything that is put ahead of God is an idol. It is something we all need to be aware of daily...thanks for the reminder.

Lucy Stern said...

That place is truely amazing.