Sunday, August 21, 2005

Wedding Fashion or NOT!


The gowns these days! It blows my mind what girls are wearing! And choices! Have you been in a bridal shop lately? I'll bet for every bride they have at least 100; strapless, spaghetti strap, halter, off-the-shoulder, cap sleeved, and one-shoulder, even!

How's a girl to make up her mind?

And who do they bring with them? Mom, maid of honor, five bridesmaids and even the flower girl's opinion is important on the first visit. Now, in a salon that has only 1200 square feet, picture five of these bridal parties. Is sardine in your mind?

Maybe that's why more and more brides are turning to Ebay and online stores to make their purchases. Sure, you can buy without pressure. Peruse the styles in your housecoat or less, 24/7! You can even purchase the gown and quite possibly send it back if you don't like it. What do the internet stores care? They don't have a brick and mortar store to support. They don't even have to deal with crowded dressing rooms, cleaning up the gowns that have been wiped out with mascara and lipstick, vacuumming, dusting, smiling and caring customer service!

I'm always amazed when someone comments "Oh, I loved that store! It's too bad they closed. I haven't been there in ages and it's only around the corner or across town! I've been getting better deals on the net!" Like, what!

Take responsibility for your actions!

Do you want to shop for everything on line? Then that's all we'll have...just a bunch of warehouses.

Do you want to shop down the street, around the corner or across town? Then do it! Support your local community! Don't complain when the job market declines because of poor support from customers. Don't complain when manufacturing closes, leaving your town high and dry because of overseas competition.

Do you realize how much we purchase from Asia, how much they are imbedded in our economy? Do you know what would have if we stopped letting the ships dock on the west coast to unload the foreign merchandise?

Oh, excuse me. It's not foreign. Nope, our own companies own the factories over there, so that couldn't happen.

Wake up, America! They..are..not..on..our..soil. Those factories are at the mercy of those governments.

Excuse the tirade. I've been simmering for some time. I just festered and POPPED!

Choose your neighborhood and town wisely. Invest in your community. It's the only one you have at any time!!!!!!!

P.S. Just this week, several past customers blessed my day by bringing in the newest additions to their unions. I cherish the thought that they considered me an important part of their wedding memories. That's what it's all about...

...showing your family your gown in a nice salon, with nice salespeople, for one of the most important days of your life...priceless!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree!!!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I agree too. Personally, I would rather go to a bridal shop/boutique to get my wedding dress. I would want to see a selection and try them on to see what looks best and what I like, rather than picking and choosing online and then finally getting the gown only to try it on and look like Lord knows what, then having to pay to ship it back.

I am not one for shopping really. If I know what I want then I will go buy it but I don't like going from store to store to store to store in search of something that catches my fancy. Even though I don't like that, I would want to do it with my wedding dress. I mean, a wedding is an important day in a girl's life...shouldn't she make the purchase of her gown important too and not just look at pictures to see what "looks good"? Besides, just because it might look good in a picture doesn't mean it will look good when you see it...at least that is my opinion.

So...I vote for going to the shop to buy the dress. Sure the internet is fine for playing games, surfing the blogs, etc., but when it comes to buying things...I prefer the stores.

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

You sure did POP! You need an infusion of green stuff, preferably the folding kind to cure that infection. You go, girl!

Zoanna said...

Maybe you could enlighten us as to how much of a mark-up is on wedding gowns? (Or maybe you need to keep that secret for the sake of business).

I agree with you about supporting local merchants. I love patronizing a store where the employees seem glad to be there (I figure the morale must be good b/t them and management) and I don't mind paying a bit more for personal attention.

As for wedding gowns that show too much skin, I could get on a soapbox, but I won't. I got married nearly 20 years ago when froo-froo was in (I had a big princess gown) but there were still immodest dresses to choose from if you looked. My mom made a point to say, "A wedding is a sacred ceremony." That's one reason we didn't have the garter-throwing thing. Oh well, I said I wouldn't get on my soapbox.