Sunday, September 04, 2011

Singing Sunday


I am in a band. It's called the Cellar Yellers.

We sing mostly oldies; i.e. country & rock, but we also sing gospel and contemporary Christian songs.

Our venues are the town fair, nursing homes, a local club and a restaurant. We don't charge for our music but they do feed us, yum!

We don't get nervous or stage fright, even when we mess up a song. We just have a lot of fun!

Now, when we are asked to sing at our own church, we sweat and shake and can barely remember how to play.

Today was one of those days.

I had to sing (There's Nothing Greater than Grace by Point of Grace) with my BFF Cheryl. We've been wanting to do this song for over a year and finally the timing was perfect.

For a month and a half, we've been practising on our lunch breaks and then solo with the cd's. We even had a run through on the stage on Thursday last week.

The time comes for our special and we walked on stage. Cheryl turns to me and goes completely blank and then I did the same! I couldn't even remember my own lines, let alone hers.

The music started without us, so we had to have them start the cd over.

My, my, the fingers and knees began to shake, so I kept tapping a toe to the beat to hide the shaking.

But as we got into the song, the words were there. It wasn't perfect but we felt good about it.

There's something about singing or speaking in a grace-filled church that can almost bring you to your knees in humility.

I thank the Holy Spirit that He was able to carry us through to minister to someone in the congregation through us simple, broken vessels. He uses our weaknesses to display His Glory. Amen!

No comments: